Seward County Weed Department

The Seward County Weed District Office is located at 2879 McKelvie Rd., West Highway 34, Seward, NE 68434. Mailing Address: P.O. Box 153, Seward, NE 68434; Phone: (402) 643-3525; E-mail: Office hours are from 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Functions of the Weed Department

  • Encourage and develop better weed control practices.
  • Inspect all lands under the jurisdiction of the control authority to determine if the Nebraska Noxious Weed Control Act and the rules and regulations are being complied with.
  • Complete 20 hours of continuing education annually.
  • Be certified with the Nebraska Department of Agriculture as a commercial applicator
  • Supervise and carry out the coordinated control program within the county.
  • Compile infestation data and other reports as the Nebraska Director of Agriculture or control authority may require.
  • Perform forage certification inspections and article inspections.
  • Provide herbicide recommendations and biological information for the control of noxious weeds.

Knotweed "Alliance" Fact Sheet - All potentially invasive members of the Knotweed "Alliance" have been designated a Nebraska noxious weed.

Bohemian Knotweed Listed on the NNWAC Watch List since 2002

Common Reed (Phragmites) Listed on the NNWAC Watch List since 2002

This non-native plant is similar to a native common reed, but is rapidly spreading in waterways and lakes across Nebraska. This tall grass-like plant can grow up to 20 feet tall and form thick, dense stands making many areas inaccessible. This plant quickly forms a monoculture by pushing out native vegetation.

Landowner Guide for Controlling Phragmites (pdf file - 11766 kbytes) The trouble with invasive species.

These videos are produced by Tim Smith from the Western Republican River Riparian Improvement Project.  
The Problem With Invasives - Part 1
(You Tube Video 4:13)
The Problem With Invasives - Part 2 (You Tube Video 9:21)

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do we need a noxious weed law?
A weed is declared noxious when it is determined that it seriously threatens the welfare of the residents of the state and a sustained effort is needed to prevent serious economic loss. Regulations are implemented to control the weed and prevent its spread.

Do lease agreements between tenants and landowners change legal responsibility to control noxious weeds?
No. All legal notices are required by law to be served to the landowner regardless of any lease agreement.

Can a landowner be forced to control noxious weeds on their property?
Failure to comply with a served legal notice can result in a fine up to $1,500 or being billed for control work being done.

What about weeds such as sunflowers, bindweed, dandelions and velvetleaf?
Only those weeds designated as noxious by the Nebraska Department of Agriculture are under the jurisdiction of the weed control authority.

Lower Platte Weed Management Area

This website provides information about the Lower Platte Weed Management Area (LPWMA). The site provides minutes from meetings and upcoming agendas.


About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2016 Seward County Government